Friday, January 11, 2013

Open Course Ware @ FIX University newsRus.com


Fundamentals of Human Nutrition

Kristina von Castel-Roberts, Ph.D.

This introductory course provides an overview of the principles of nutritional science. Subject matter includes description and functions of nutrients, digestion and absorption, effects of nutrient deficiencies and toxicities, requirements, food sources, nutrient interactions, dietary guidelines, and the role of nutrition in health and disease.
Next Session:
Jan 22nd 2013 (10 weeks long)You are enrolled!
Workload: 4-10 hours/week 
 

About the Course

After completing this course, students will be able to:
  • Identify the nutrients needed by humans and explain their major functions in the body, dietary sources, and the effects of insufficient as well as excessive intakes.
  • Describe the processes of food digestion and absorption and nutrient utilization.
  • Explain the meaning of energy balance, and methods to calculate energy needs

About the Instructor(s)

My name is Kristina von Castel-Roberts.  I have a PhD in Human Nutrition from the University of Florida focusing on vitamin B12 nutrition and metabolism.  I am currently conducting obesity research as well as teaching nutrition. My teaching focuses on basic nutrition, oral health nutrition for dentistry, and nutrition in health care and public health.
In addition to vitamin B12 nutrition and obesity management I am interested in nutrition and vegetarianism, omega-3 fatty acids, nutrition education in health care, and nutrition for disease prevention.  I am excited to help spread nutrition knowledge through my online teaching.  I hope this course helps you learn to live healthier as well as teaches you how to spread this important information further in your personal and professional pursuits.  Nutrition is key to good health because we are truly what we eat!
I have been at the University of Florida since 1994 as a student, and instructor and a researcher. I have worked in several areas including Animal Science, in which I have a Bachelors degree. When I am not busy at UF I enjoy spending time with my husband, family and friends, the wonderful Florida weather, and training my horses and dogs.

Course Format

This course is offered fully-online.

Food and Nutrition 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.